Pole hedge trimmers, extendable hedge trimmers, telescoping hedge trimmers. Whatever you want to call them, they seem to be getting more and more popular every year. And for good reason. They can do most things regular hedge trimmers can, and they have the extra reach to get to the top of your hedges. We reviewed 3 popular models. These are the best pole hedge trimmers for the money.
🥇 The Best Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 【DESIGN INFO】:The corded hedge trimmer is equipped with 4.8A motor and...
- 【DUAL-ACTION BLADE】: The dual action blades cuts once, then catches that...
- 【EXTENSION POLE】: The hedge cutter can be extended with extension pole from...
- 【SAFE & COMFORTABLE】: This corded hedge cutter is equipped with two safety...
- 【WARRANTY】: GARCARE always puts quality and customer satisfaction at the...
This model has a higher cutting capacity than most its competitors in this category. We like the many features, which will allow you to trim hedges that would normally be out of reach.
Other Pole Hedge Trimmers We Reviewed
Pole Hedge Trimmer Buying Guide
Even within the specialized sub section of long reach hedge trimmers, there are a few sub sections. These subsections mainly have to do with the type of engine is powering the device.
Professional landscapers will most likely opt for a gas powered pole trimmer. This is because for them, the machine has to run 8 to 12 hours a day, every day, with a steady supply of power. This is something gas powered pole hedge trimmers are great for.
However, for most homeowners, this is not necessarily a requirement. They just need the trimmer 2 or 3 times a year on average. For these kinds of people, I normally suggest a corded electric pole hedge trimmer.
These machines have a powerful electric motor, that does not require a lot of maintenance like its gas powered counterparts. Yes, they do require a power cord to always be plugged in, but in my opinion, this is not such a big deal, and the pros outweigh the cons in this instance.
Battery powered pole hedge trimmers can be a great option too, perhaps if your yard is particularly large, and the hedges and shrubs needed to be trimmed are scattered around the yard. Keep in mind that batteries need to be maintained, even if you are not using them.
Advantages Of Pole Hedge Trimmers
For many jobs, a standard hedge trimmer will work just fine, but what do you do if your hedges are particularly tall, or perhaps you can’t reach the top? It is possible to reach the top by using a ladder, but you’ll want to make sure it’s very steady, and even then, it is still a potentially dangerous option.
So, what other options do you have? One great option is an extended reach hedge trimmer. These trimmers are made to reach higher than the standard models, making it easier than ever before to trim in hard to reach places. You’ll be able to do the trimming of your tall hedges safely with both feet on the ground, being fully in control. As a result, your hedge will look neater as well.
Many models are made with an extendable pole which allows them to function as either a regular hedge trimmer or a pole trimmer depending on your needs. That way you can trim your hedges as normal and won’t have to worry about getting out a ladder or straining yourself trying to reach the portions of the hedge that are too tall to reach.
Many of these trimmers also come with heads that are able to pivot, allowing you to set the angle on the blades exactly as you need to get the shape you desire. This functionality is tremendously helpful whilst cutting the top of tall hedges.
These trimmers can also lessen the amount of strain you put on your body in having to awkwardly bend or reach to do a complete job. This helps you to remain more comfortable overall as you complete the job.
The biggest, most obvious benefit of a telescoping hedge trimmer is that it allows you to trim areas that are up high or potentially difficult to get to with a regular hedge trimmer. Not only that, but you can reach these places from the ground.
This makes it more safe than other options for reaching those areas because you are able to stay firmly planted and don’t have to worry about a wobbly ladder that you could fall from.
Like regular hedge trimmers, pole hedge trimmers come in gas-, electric-, and battery-powered varieties. This allows you to use whichever kind of long hedge trimmer you like the most or have grown the most used to.
While they can often be heavier than the standard trimmers, you will find with most models that a strap is provided to help support the weight. This way you can work longer, even with the added extra weight.
You can also find a variety of extendable hedge trimmers to suit your specific needs. There are pole hedgers that provide a long vertical length to allow you to reach tall spots or those that might be far away.
There are also pole hedge trimmers that can sit at an angle to make it easy to trim down the tops of hedges that you may not be able to see. This way, you can get a nice, even cut along the top without having to see what you’re doing.
Whatever task it is that you need to accomplish, you can be assured that you’ll find exactly what you need to help make your job easier.
Another benefit of long handled hedge trimmers is that they allow you to get the job done with less strain to your back and arms. You won’t have to worry about trying to stand on the tips of your toes and reach, just to get a few extra branches trimmed.
These trimmers give you an easier method for getting those places taken care of without adding unnecessary stress to your body or your workload.
This is wonderful considering telescopic hedge trimmers were made to make your job easier in the first place. Being able to accomplish even more with them without overworking yourself is always a plus.
Calling in a professional to trim your hedges can be expensive and sometimes frustrating if you’d prefer to do it yourself but can’t reach certain areas. While purchasing a long reach electric hedge trimmer is still going to have an up front cost, it’s likely to be less than hiring someone else do the job.
It’s also going to save a lot of money on the repeated sessions because you’ll be able to take care of it yourself. There are a lot of plus sides to having an extendable hedge trimmer, all of which are going to make taking care of your outdoor yard work a whole lot easier.
Need More Reasons?
Overall, pole hedge trimmers are a great option for helping you to reach places you wouldn’t be able to otherwise reach. Not only that, but they allow you to do it from the safety of the ground.
While a ladder can sometimes be useful in these situations, there is also a chance using one while trimming could be dangerous due to the possibility of the ladder tipping over or a fall. Extendable hedge trimmers also keep you from straining your body in an effort to reach difficult areas.
Hedge trimmers are made to provide more ease to the task of trimming, and pole hedgers seek to expand that ease so that you can reach as many areas as possible with only a small amount of physical effort.
Pole Hedge Trimmers Reviews
What do you do once your hedge has grown to be too tall and you can’t reach all the way up, or no longer have the ability to reach the top? You could let the hedge grow wild, but then it won’t look as nice. Neighbors may complain about an ugly, misshapen hedge.
You could call in a professional, but that can cost hundreds of dollars or more per session, and nobody wants to spend that kind of money to just keep their plants looking nice.
A better option is to look into purchasing a pole hedge trimmer. These trimmers were specifically made to allow you to reach areas you couldn’t before from the safety of the ground. That means no rickety ladders or awkward reaching to make sure you’re doing a complete job.
Many of these pole trimmers have pivoting heads, making it easy for you to trim all the sides of your hedge with ease to exactly the shape you want. You won’t have to worry about straining yourself, and you won’t have to spend hundreds of dollars to call in a professional several times a year.
We had a look at some of the most popular pole hedge trimmers for home owners, and came up with three models that we think are worth your money. These machines often cost less than a professional landscaper charges for 2 or 3 hours. Talk about a good investment!
- 【DESIGN INFO】:The corded hedge trimmer is equipped with 4.8A motor and features a 20inch dual-action cutting blade, teeth spacing of 3/4inch, which mean this tool can provide good help for trimming tall hedges.
- 【DUAL-ACTION BLADE】: The dual action blades cuts once, then catches that branch again on the way back, just to make sure: For a trim that’s twice as clean, twice as powerful, twice as fast
- 【EXTENSION POLE】: The hedge cutter can be extended with extension pole from an already Impressive 7.1ft to an Incredible 9.2ft ,it will certainly help you for long reach trimming.
- 【SAFE & COMFORTABLE】: This corded hedge cutter is equipped with two safety switches,which can prevent unintentional starting.And Ergonomic handle with soft rubber grip and shoulder strap can help you work longer and more comfortable.
- 【WARRANTY】: GARCARE always puts quality and customer satisfaction at the core,we will provide 12 months guaranteed quality,if you have any question,please contact with us!
This trimmer comes with a 4.8-amp motor, making it rather powerful. It has a 20” laser cutting blade with a 3/4” cutting capacity. While not quite as high as a gas-powered model, this is a higher cutting capacity than most trimmers.
This model also comes with a 6-position pivoting head, which means you can adjust the head to cut at any angle you may need, even from a distance. This trimmer also comes with an aluminum telescopic tube with an extension that can reach up to 9.2’, allowing you to reach greater distances with little effort.
- Easy to use: This trimmer is easy to maneuver and handle. It has a far reach that allows you to trim those difficult areas with little effort. You won’t have to worry about needing to use a ladder or calling in the professionals, and you can rely on this trimmer to not put too much of a strain on your back and arms.
- Variety of angles: With this trimmer, you can adjust the head to just about any angle you may need, whether it’s skimming along the top or reaching a side that is high off the ground. This makes it a very convenient tool to have around.
- Quick and efficient: You’ll be able to get your job done in a fraction of the time, and at a fraction of the cost compared to using a ladder and a regular trimmer, or having a professional outdoor cleanup company take care of it for you.
- Heavy: This trimmer can be a little top heavy; you’ll need to make sure you have the strength to be able to keep control of it. Naturally, a lot of the weight is going to sit at the blade end of the tool. This is important to keep in mind so you’re able to get a good grip and handle it efficiently. The weight of this trimmer won’t cause too much of an issue if you’re using it straight up the side of a hedge, but be careful when using it to reach around other sides or while trimming the top.
- Startup problems: Some customers have had problems right away or within a few minutes of the trimmer starting. It would be a good idea to make sure you know the terms and conditions of the warranty on this trimmer before purchasing; that way any problems can be addressed easily and quickly.
- Earthwise 2-In-1 electric hedge trimmer and pole hedge trimmer that gives you maximum reach of up to 8'8"
- 6-position adjustable trimming head angle from -20 to 60 degrees
- Power shrub trimmers with 18" cutting blade for quick and clean cuts
- Corded hedge trimmer includes protective blade cover for easy storage and shoulder support strap for comfortable operation
- Ideal for maintaining and beautifying tall or short hedges and shrubs
This trimmer is an excellent option if you are looking for a versatile trimmer. An adjustable aluminum pole allows this model to be able to act as a regular trimmer as well as a pole trimmer.
The pole attachment is capable of reaching up to 8’ 8”, and has a pivoting head. It also comes with an 18” blade and a 4.5-amp motor. If you’re looking for one tool that can do it all, this trimmer is a great choice.
- Versatility: Instead of purchasing two separate trimmers to make sure that you are covered for the up-close tasks, as well as hard-to-reach jobs, you can save money by only needing this one trimmer for both. This model will have you covered no matter what your needs are.
- Easy to use: With this trimmer, you’ll be able to easily reach the tall sides and top of your hedges with no problem. It gives you the reach that allows you to stay safely on the ground without straining yourself and still get the job done well.
- Saves money: Not only is this trimmer going to save you money over calling a professional, it will also keep you from having to buy a standard trimmer as well as a pole trimmer. One tool to handle it all means you get to keep more money in your pocket, and still be able to complete your outdoor tasks with ease.
- Small buttons: The lock on/off button on this model is somewhat small, making it a little difficult to press while you’re using the tool. It’s also located in a place that is going to be harder for left-handed individuals to get to. It would be important to see if you can handle this model before purchasing it so that you can get a good feel for whether or not it will work for you.
- Top heavy: As with many pole trimmers, it’s important to be aware that more of the weight can sometimes be located at the blade end, meaning it will take a little effort to carry and keep control of the device. Always make sure to use two hands and be careful while using a pole trimmer of any kind. Make sure you have full control of the device as you use it, otherwise it can fall and do damage to the trimmer, hedge, or yourself.
- Powered by 24V Lithium-Ion Battery and compatible with both indoor and outdoor tools
- 20-Inch Steel dual action blade for optimal performance and durability
- 5/8-Inch cutting capacity for controlled, easy trimming of most bushes and hedges
- 3 position pivoting head adjusts blade with extended reach handle for trimming at multiple angles
- Compatible with GreenWorks G-24 24V Lithium-Ion Battery Models 29842 and 29852 and Charger Model 29862
This trimmer comes with a 24-volt battery, which is sold separately from the trimmer itself. The battery is rechargeable, so you will only have to buy another one once the battery is no longer capable of carrying a charge at all. It has a 20” dual-action steel blade, making cutting through branches quick and easy. It has a cutting capacity of 5/8” which makes it useful for most small-to-medium household tasks. This trimmer also comes with a 3-position pivoting head, allowing you to work at multiple angles to get your hedges looking nice.
- Works well: This trimmer works well on a variety of plants, from ivy to holly. Unless you’re working on something with particularly thick branches, this trimmer will be able to make sure you get the job done quickly and efficiently. Without a doubt, this trimmer will help to make your job easier.
- Quiet: You’re not going to have to worry about waking up your neighbors while using this machine, or causing damage to your own hearing. It’s relatively quiet, which will bring a little more peace to your daily tasks. This is especially useful in the summer months when you want to get your morning chores out of the way before the summer heat sets in.
- Adjustable head tilt: The tilt on this trimmer will allow you to work at different angles without a problem. This will allow you to get the ideal shape to your hedge, even in those difficult-to-reach areas. You won’t have to worry about struggling to reach or having to stand on a wobbly ladder to make sure your hedges are shaped to perfection.
- Battery not included: Unfortunately, the battery doesn’t come with it, and will have to be purchased separately, adding to the cost. If the capabilities of this trimmer interest you, it will be important to keep this in mind and remember to purchase the battery when you order the trimmer. That way you’ll have everything you need once it comes time to start trimming.
- Blades lock up easily: The blades have been known to lock up easily on this model, so be extra careful to make sure you aren’t trying to trim branches that are beyond the 5/8” capability listed in the description. As long as the branches aren’t too big, there shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
Pole Hedge Trimmer FAQ
What Is The Best Pole Hedge Trimmer For A Homeowner?
Homeowners typically use the hedge trimmer 2 or 3 times per year. This is very different to landscaping companies who use these tools on a daily basis. Therefore, homeowners do not have to spend the same amount of money as professionals would.
Another important difference is the type of engine. Because of their incidental use, homeowners are much better off buying corded electric or battery powered pole hedge trimmers. These machines lack the need for maintenance like their gas-powered brothers, and do the job just as good.
If you are an incidental user, it’s probably most cost efficient to purchase a corded electric model. Due to the lack of battery or gas engine, this is the cheapest option. They also have less parts that can break or need maintenance.
Where To Buy Pole Hedge Trimmer?
This question will likely be answered differently by different people. For the modern generation, I recommend buying online for a few reasons. The biggest advantage in my opinion is the choices you have buying online from firms like Amazon, Home Depot, etc. These big companies can afford to carry huge inventory, which is convenient for us consumers.
Buying online makes it easy to read previous buyers reviews, and see which models are most popular. Also, due to their high turnover, these big box stores can afford to give you the lowest price possible. And all this from the comfort of your own home!
How To Make Hedge Trimmer Reach Farther?
I would not recommend attempting to extend a standard hedge trimmer. These machines are not made for this, and by bodging up your hedge trimmers in any way, you risk injury to yourself and others around you. Not to mention that due to the lack of control, your will not be able to do a very nice job to your hedges.
How To Sharpen (Stihl) Long Reach Hedge Trimmer?
Sharpening a long reach hedge trimmer is exactly the same process as sharpening a regular hedge trimmer, which we have written a guide for. Read the guide by clicking here.
Last update on 2021-04-15 / affiliate links / image and description from Amazon