Sure, it may look like loads of fun to use, but if you only have a small yard, you don’t really need a big, ride-on lawn mower. Besides, these will probably be too expensive for your purpose. So, what is the best lawn mower for small yards?
If the yard is really small, you can likely get away with a non-motorized walk behind push mower. Let’s take a look at the best types of mowers for small lawns, along with three of our favorite models.
Without further ado, let’s just jump right into our picks as great lawn mowers for small yards. Scroll further down the page to see how this list came to be, and for all things you should consider when purchasing a lawn mower for a small yard.
🥇 The Best Lawn Mower For Small Yards
- Powerful Cutting: The 12 amp motor and 20-inch steel deck with a 3600 RPM work...
- Versatile Cutting Options: The 3-in-1 system allows for mulching, rear bagging,...
- Easy to Use: The easy push button start and single lever 7 position height...
- Efficient and Durable: The durable steel 21-inch cutting deck gets the job done...
- Extension Cord Requirement: It is important to use a 14 gauge 50’ or 12 gauge...
The GreenWorks 25022 is a 12-amp, corded, 20-inch lawn mower that can cut through tall, thick grass with ease. The cutting deck is made of durable steel, and there is a seven-position height adjuster for various grass lengths from 1 ½ inches to 3 ¾ inches, making it ideal for all types of grass. The wide 10-inch rear wheels and seven-inch front wheels make this lawn mower easy to maneuver, especially on uneven terrain.
- Three-in-One – This mower is three machines in one. It will discharge clippings out the side, bag the clippings, or mulch them.
- Easy Height Adjustment – Adjusting the cutting height is easy, and you can adjust it one level at a time to get it just right.
- Easy to Store – This mower can easily be folded down, making it more compact for easy storage when not in use.
🥇 Best Cordless Lawn Mower For Small Yards
- Advanced Arc-Lithium 5.0 Ah 56V Battery...
- True 3-In-1 Function: Superior mulching,...
- 20" Cut Capacity: Cut more grass in less...
- 600W, High-Torque, Magnetic Motor:...
- Folds quickly and easily for compact,...
The EGO Power+ is a 20-inch mower with a 56-volt Lithium-Ion battery. It comes with the 5.0Ah battery and charging kit, and you can get up to 55 minutes of run time per full charge. This mower is easy to start. All you have to do is push a button and it is ready to go. When you are finished, it folds up so you can store it easily, and you can store it upright so it takes up even less space.
- Noise – This is a quiet motor that meets noise level requirements in most areas. This means that you can even use it at night or early in the morning without disturbing your neighbors.
- Weight – This mower is lighter in weight than many other comparable models, making it a lot easier to use.
- Height Adjustments – There are five height adjustments, ranging from 1.2 inches to 3.5 inches, so you can use this mower on most types of grass.
- Battery – Some users have reported that there isn’t nearly as much battery life as advertised, and that the battery stops holding a charge after a few uses.
🥇 Best Gas Lawn Mower For Small Yards
- Powered by 196 cc engine delivering the...
- Easy pull starting. 20-Inch Steel mowing...
- 3-In-1 side discharge, rear discharge,...
- 8-position height adjustment allows you...
- Power smart is committed to building...
I have only found one mower like this. I think it is a great invention. Traditionally, you always have to lift up the front wheels of a mower to mow around objects. As a result, the blades do not cut the grass at an even height. This mower solves that problem. Reviews are very positive. I think this is a great gas lawn mower for small yards.
- Maneuverability – The three wheel design makes this mower very handy to use in small yards.
- Powerful and Self-Propelled – Easy to power through tall grass and up hills.
- Bagging – Mower comes with bagging feature.
- Speed Control – Mower has only one speed, might be too fast for elderly people.
🥇 Best Inexpensive Lawn Mower For Small Yards
- Manual mechanical mower with a quick,...
- Lightweight lawn mower has 16" cutting...
- Push blade mower with high-quality...
- Comfortable push mower handle parts with...
- Clean and quiet reel mower to maintain...
The Great States 415-16 s a 16-inch reel mower with a T-style handle and heat treated blades. If you want to keep your lawn trimmed, but don’t want a gas-powered mower that can pollute the environment, or an electric mower that either needs to be plugged in or doesn’t give you enough battery run time, this is a perfect option for you.
- Cutting Width – This human-powered mower has a 16-inch cutting width, so you can usually complete your yard in one or two passes.
- Handle – The handle is powder coated, so it is not going to rust out after one or two seasons of use.
- Blades – The blades are heat treated, so they are going to stay sharp longer to give you a decent cut.
- Height Control – There is no way to adjust the height, so you can’t mow grass that is too short or too long.
Walk-Behind Mowers for Small Yards
There are different types of walk-behind mowers, and they are available in a range of sizes. When choosing any model, make sure that it is going to fit through the shed door or yard gate easily. Other things that you need to consider when it comes to choosing a walk-behind mower for a small yard include:
Manual or Self-Propelled
For a small yard, you probably do not need a self propelled lawn mower. These types of mowers are substantially heavier than mowers without this capability. You want a lightweight, agile mower that is quick and easy to handle.
This becomes especially important when the age of the person operating the mower comes into the equation. If you’re looking for a good lawn mower for senior citizens, you want to be looking in this category as well. Big, gas powered self propelled mowers can quickly become too much to handle for elderly people.
If you have some hills in your small yard though, I do recommend going for a self propelled mower. If you have some inclines in your small yard, pushing a manual mower up and down the inclines will quickly become very tiring and dangerous as a consequence.
Check out our guide on the best lawn mowers for hills if that is what you’re after.
Gas Power, Battery, Corded, or Manual
If you have a small yard, in almost all cases I would suggest going for either a corded electric or battery powered mower. All of the benefits of gas power do not really apply if you only have a small yard to mow.
Battery power has become so powerful and inexpensive nowadays, that this type of mower will have my preference 9 out of 10 times.
Corded electric mowers still have their place though. They remain the most affordable type of mower on the market today. Using them can be a bit more cumbersome, but if you put in some effort it really is not bad at all.
Corded mowers never run out of battery or gas, and do not expel any noxious fumes. It hurts me that these mowers now have a reputation of a poor mans mower, while they have plenty of obvious benefits.
Then there are the good old reel lawn mowers. Believe it or not, but I am actually a big fan of these types of mowers for small yards. The way these reel mowers cut the grass is still superior to the way more modern mowers cut the grass.
It is for good reason that golf courses use these types of mowers. This is because they are able to deliver the best results. Reel mowers cut the grass blades, whereas rotary mowers rip the blades.
If you decide to buy a reel lawn mower, keep in mind that if you let the grass grow too long, it will become a real pain to mow the lawn. But if you keep the lawn short and you mow often, these machines will serve you well.
How to use an Electric Lawn Mower
If you keep these tips in mind, using an electric lawn mower becomes much less of a nuisance. The man in the video does a great job of explaining it, but it comes down to:
- Work away from the outlet
- Work side to side, rather than to and from the outlet
- Hold the cord on top of the handle
- Take 2 steps back at each end and step over the cord
The three mowers we have discussed today are all great for smaller yards, and you can also use them on mid to large-size yards when necessary. These mowers are all different from one another, but they all have one thing in common: they work well for small yards.
All of these mowers are reasonably priced, with the least expensive being the last one, as it has no motor or electronics and is very basic. The model you choose will depend on a variety of factors, including the size of your yard, whether you want to be able to mulch and bag clippings, and whether you want gas, electric, or completely manual. In any case, these mowers can easily get the job done without making you work up too much of a sweat.
Last update on 2023-12-03 / affiliate links / image and description from Amazon