If you’re going to be working a larger yard or for a landscaping company then you’re probably going to need a gas-powered hedge trimmer. They have the power to get through thick branches, meaning you don’t have to worry about being slowed down. In fact, keep the gas tank topped up and you can go all day long.
Gas power is losing popularity nowadays, mainly due to
Having said that, gas powered hedge trimmers still have their place and will still be around for a while. Homeowners with very large yards, or garden maintenance crews will run these machines because they can be run anywhere without power cords, and for any amount of time, provided the gas tank stays filled.
That is why I have made a selection of the best rated gas hedge trimmers for sale in 2019. All of these are great buys, it mainly depends on your budget. Let’s have a brief look at the winners of our comparison.
🥇 The Best Commercial Gas Hedge Trimmer
- Tanaka 21.1cc commercial grade 2-cycle engine for maximum reliability and...
- 5 position rear handle for maximum comfort and maneuverability
- Forward-facing exhaust prevents burnt hedges
- 30" commercial dual reciprocating blades
- 4-point, spring mounted anti-vibration system provides longer operation with...
If you are after a commercial grade hedge trimmer, this is a great choice. This machine is built for durability. We like that you are able to choose between 3 different blade lengths.
Best Lightweight Gas Hedge Trimmer For Homeowners
- Husqvarna 18 in. gas hedge trimmer cuts...
- 21. 7cc, 2-cycle engine delivers the...
- Lightweight 10. 36 lb. design is easy to...
- Low noise engine design reduces noise...
- LowVib anti-vibration reduces stress on...
Best Gas Hedge Trimmer For The Money
- Powerful 23cc 2 cycle full crank engine...
- Durable dual-action stainless Steel...
- Rotating handle with comfort grip and...
- Lightweight design at Only 11.1 lbs
Table of contents
- The Winners
- Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer Reviews
- Gas Hedge Trimmer Buying Guide
- Using a Gas-Powered Hedge Trimmer
Who makes the best gas powered hedge trimmer? That’s a question that I have heard people ask often. The answer is, it’s not that easy. Sure, there are the obvious brands, such as Husqvarna, Stihl, Tanaka. But they may be out of your budget, and then perhaps Poulan Pro is a better choice for you.
As the name states, these trimmers are powered by a mixture of gasoline and oil, so you will need to make sure you have plenty of fuel around so you can finish your job without the hassle of having to go get more.
Gas trimmers can often be a little more expensive than the electric varieties, but they can also have the capability to trim branches that are up to 1” thick. For the most part, this isn’t a feature that is shared among any other kind of trimmer.
Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer Reviews
When you need a lot of power, a gas hedge trimmer is going to be the way to go. While many corded electric trimmers can come close, they still won’t quite measure up to the strength and portability of a gas-powered hedge trimmer. Many professionals rely on gas-powered trimmers because they have the strength and durability to get through even the toughest of jobs.
You may find yourself wondering what kind of trimmer would work best for you. If you are working on a large parcel of land or for an outdoor cleanup company, then it would be a good idea to take a look into a gas-powered trimmer, as they are made to make the larger jobs easier on you and much faster than trying to complete the task manually. If, however, you only need a trimmer for small- to medium-sized jobs around the home then it may be a good idea to look at other options as well.
This article is going to take a look into some of the most popular gas-powered trimmers available on the market in order to help you make a decision about which kind of trimmer will meet your needs. The specs, as well as some pros and cons of each model will be listed so that you can clearly see what each trimmer is capable of doing for you, and what things to look out for so that you can be in the know ahead of time.
- Tanaka 21.1cc commercial grade 2-cycle engine for maximum reliability and durability
- 5 position rear handle for maximum comfort and maneuverability
- Forward-facing exhaust prevents burnt hedges
- 30" commercial dual reciprocating blades
- 4-point, spring mounted anti-vibration system provides longer operation with less fatigue
The Tanaka TCH22ECP2 comes with a 21.1cc 2-cycle engine capable of cutting down even the most troublesome of branches. It has a forward-facing exhaust meant to keep the fumes away from your face. This model comes with 30” commercial-grade dual reciprocating blades.
It also comes with a spring mounted anti-vibration system so that you don’t have to worry about the numbness or strain in your arms that can come from vibrations that are too strong. There is a 5-position rear handle, helping you to keep control of the machine for the most precise cutting capability.
- High Quality: This trimmer is well-built so that it can withstand tough jobs. It’s made with very high-quality materials that will make it an incredibly reliable tool for years to come. Reliability is vastly important with tools like these because you want to be certain your hard-earned money is going towards something that will be beneficial to you in the long run, and save you money over calling in a professional.
- Powerful: This is a heavy-duty trimmer made to be long-lasting and to power you through your tasks, even if you’re dealing with branches that may not have been trimmed in years or even ever. It has long blades fueled by a lot of power, allowing it the strength needed to cut through thicker branches than many other trimmers.
- Warranty: This model comes with a 2-year warranty, which represents the belief the company has in their product. You’ll have all that time to get used to the model and if there are any problems, have them taken care of in a timely and efficient manner. After all, good customer service is just as important as having a quality product.
- Heavy: Being such a heavy-duty product, naturally this model has some weight to it. It’s a good idea to make sure you’ll be able to wield the tool, and take breaks when needed. Some models may also come with straps or other accessories to help support the weight of the machine.
- Breakage: There have been some problems with breakage on this trimmer. More specifically, the fuel line has been known to come apart after not much use. Keep an eye on your trimmer and make sure you aren’t using more fuel than is necessary to get the job done. Luckily, it should be an easy fix alongside the warranty provided.
- Husqvarna 18 in. gas hedge trimmer cuts twigs and shrubs up to 4/5 in. thick
- 21. 7cc, 2-cycle engine delivers the power you need to get the job done fast
- Lightweight 10. 36 lb. design is easy to maneuver
- Low noise engine design reduces noise pollution
- LowVib anti-vibration reduces stress on arms and hands, for more comfortable use
The Husqvarna 122hd45 is a high-quality gas powered hedge trimmer for homeowners. The Husqvarna gives you all the confidence of a premium brand without the hefty price tag. This is a professional grade hedge trimmer, for a very reasonable price.
The engine and starter mechanism on this model
I like that the on/off switch automatically resets back to ‘on’. No more pulling the cord wondering why the machine won’t start, only to find out you forgot the switch! No worries, we have all been there…
- Easy to start: Husqvarna
havedesigned this model specifically for homeowners. As a result, it is very easy to start due to a number of factors. The machine automatically bleeds the fuel line and carburetor from air bubbles. Also, the kill switch is in the ‘on’ position by default.
- Low noise: being a homeowner hedge trimmer, Husqvarna
payedspecial attention to the noise levels this machine produces,and made sure it is good to use in residential areas.
- Quality feel: like all Husqvarna products, this gas trimmer gives you that quality, dependable feeling.
- Carburetor: the carb may need adjustment, depending on the temperature in your area. This is an easy fix though.
- Fuel line: there have been some issues with fuel lines. Husqvarna has fixed these issues under warranty. In my understanding, these issues have now been solved with the new models.
- 28cc engine
- 22-inch cutting length
- Swivel position handle allows you to change positions for a more comfortable and secure grip.
- Dual sided, serrated blades
This trimmer comes with 22” dual-action blades ready to cut through even the toughest branches in your yard. It has a 28cc two-stroke engine, giving it a little bit more for your money than many other hedge trimmer models.
This particular model also comes with a lightweight design to allow you to maneuver and lift it easily without putting too much strain on your back and arms. It also has a comfort-touch handle and a swivel-position rotating handle, which lets you keep a steady grip no matter which direction you happen to be cutting in.
- Powerful: This trimmer really packs a punch, giving you a much easier time getting through your tasks so that you can focus your time on other things. Nobody wants to spend all day trying to give their hedges that perfect look, and this machine will make sure you get the job done as efficiently as possible. It will have little trouble getting through thicker branches, meaning you don’t have to struggle.
- Swivel Handle: The rotating ability on the handle of this trimmer allows you to keep a firm grip, even if you are trimming tricky areas that require the trimmer to be at an odd angle. This allows you to accomplish more without having to use any extra tools to get into the more difficult spots. One tool to do it all means less strain on you. It also means less time putting away a ladder or manual trimmer afterwards in addition to your hedge trimmer.
- Quick: The power on this trimmer will allow you to zoom through your tasks, giving you a little bit of added free time to pursue other projects or simply relax. Hedge trimming isn’t the most fun task for most people, so getting done quickly is always a benefit.
- Problems starting: This trimmer has been known to have problems starting at times. Before purchasing, it would be a good idea to be familiar with the terms and conditions of the warranty, just in case it needs to be repaired. The problem isn’t frequent, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
- Heavy: With gas-powered trimmers, it can be difficult to make models that are very lightweight because the fuel mixture they require will always add to that weight. It’s a good idea to make sure you are capable of lifting the weight of this trimmer with the fuel, for the time it takes to get your tasks completed; also make sure to take breaks as needed.
- 21.2 cc professional-grade, 2-stroke engine for outstanding performance; Commercial-duty air filtration system for long engine life; Large rear handle provides comfort and great control; Tool-less air filter cover for easy access
- 20" double-sided, double-reciprocating RazorEdge blades are precision ground and laser cut for long-lasting sharpness; Large ergonomic front handle with safety guard for increased comfort and control; Rigid support bar allows straighter and more precise cuts
The Echo hedge trimmer comes with a 21.2cc 2-stroke engine and a commercial-quality air filtration system. This system will make sure that your machine is running smoothly and cleanly while you complete your tasks. It also comes with two large handles, one on the rear and one on the front, which are designed to help you keep a solid grip on your machine.
This model also has an easy-to-open filter cover designed to allow you to change or clean out the filter without the need of added tools. It also comes loaded with 20” double-sided blades made to cut through most branches with little effort.
- Powerful: This machine is designed to be powerful and effective, cutting down your time spent working so that you can focus on other things. You won’t need to worry too much about branches being too thick or unruly for this trimmer. It will cut through big and small alike, and leave you plenty of time for things you enjoy.
- Heavy Duty: This model is made with quality, heavy-duty parts meant to keep you from having to worry about it being easily damaged. Trimming can be a tough job, and you want a tough machine to help you do it. Not many people want to stop to work on their tool multiple times while trying to get a job completed. This trimmer will make sure that you can focus on the job alone so that you can finish up quickly and efficiently.
- Easy to start: You won’t have to worry about spending a great deal of time trying to get this model started. You can easily get going after just a pull or two and be able to focus most of your time on the task at hand. Nobody wants to waste time trying to just get their machine going, and with this trimmer you won’t have to.
- Breakage: There have been a few known problems with parts on this trimmer breaking. If you’re interested in this machine, make sure you are familiar with the conditions of the warranty prior to your purchase so that you know the quickest and easiest ways to get your machine repaired or replaced if need be. Luckily most hedge trimmer models come with a warranty that lasts at least a couple of years, letting you know the company will be there for you should something go wrong with the machine.
Gas Hedge Trimmer Buying Guide
Before you make the purchase, it is wise to read a little more about these machines. This way you know what to look for when you’re ready to buy. Not all gas hedge trimmers are created equal, and it depends on your personal requirements which trimmer is best for you. Let’s get into some details.
Obviously, power is a huge factor in your buying decision. You might me tempted to buy the most powerful hedge trimmer you can find. But this has one major drawback, namely the weight of the machine.
Handling a hedge trimmer can be incredibly strenuous, even for seasoned landscapers such as myself. Often you will have to hold the machine stretched out in front of you, or over the top of your head. All while trying to shear the hedge in as straight a line as possible.
If you choose a hedge trimmer that is too heavy, you will be too tired to hold the machine after 10 minutes. In fact, I would suggest you choose the lightest machine that can get the job done.
If you have a lot of thick branches to cut however, you are going to need the grunt of a heavy duty, well-powered hedge trimmer.
There are several factors that come into play when deciding on the best cutting blade for your hedge trimmer. The most obvious one is the length. Longer length increases the reach of the machine, but it also increases the weight exponentially. This is because the longer the blade, the farther away from you the tip is. This can add to the strain on your body quickly.
You also want to make sure the machine has plenty of power to be able to power the length of blade. Generally, manufacturers do not put blades that are too long on their machines, but there are exceptions. If you can choose different blade lengths upon purchase, I would suggest you do not buy the longest blade. I have found that the longest available blades can make the trimmer underpowered for general hedge trimming tasks.
Then there is the spacing between teeth. If you have a hedge with thick branches, you will obviously need a blade which has the teeth spaced further apart then if you only have to shear some boxwoods. Blades with teeth that are closer together will have a neater hedge clipping finish as a result.
The blade speed is something that, in my opinion, does not really affect the quality of the cut. I have never found a hedge trimmer of which the blades did not move fast enough. A common fault is that people don’t oil their blades after usage. That way, the sap from the shrubs you have been cutting, will stick to the blades and prevent it from sliding smoothly the next time you use it. So, make sure you oil the blades after each and every use, something like WD40 will do the trick just fine.
Another hugely important factor in the functioning of your hedge trimmer is whether or not your blades are sharp. New hedge trimmers will be sharp enough in most cases, but after a few seasons, you will most likely need to sharpen your hedge trimmer blades. You can either do this yourself, or you can bring your machine to the local garden or tool center, they should be able to sharpen your blades, and it shouldn’t cost you too much.
Using a Gas-Powered Hedge Trimmer
As the old saying goes, safety first. Are hedge trimmers dangerous? There is not much that can go wrong, but there are a few things in mind when trimming hedges. These tips apply to most gas powered garden tools.
Wear your PPE
PPE stands for personal protective equipment. When you are handling a hedge trimmer, I would suggest you always use face and ear protection. The noise might not seem like much, but overtime, it has an accumulating effect, and it will damage your ears in the long run.
Wearing a face mask or safety glasses is a good idea, because branches, debris, insects and other things might come flying out the hedge straight into your eyes. Apart from being extremely annoying, you only have two eyes, and who wants to take the risk of anything happening to them?
If it’s a sunny day, replace those safety glasses with sunglasses, preferably safety sunglasses. Using a hedge trimmer, you will be looking up a lot, and the last thing you want happening is UV damage to your eyes or being blinded by the sun.
It might be a good idea to wear long sleeves and long pants depending on the type of brush or shrubs your cutting. I would s
Make sure you are stable
I can’t tell you how many times I have seen or heard about injuries by people who thought it would be a good idea to trim their tall hedges from a wobbly step ladder. It can be done, but please make sure of a few things.
- Do not work in the rain. The step ladder will be slippery and might cause you to fall
- Make sure the ladder can not sink into the ground. You can put something like a sheet of plywood underneath the legs of the ladder.
- Do not work alone. Make sure there is someone to assist you, and in the worst case, help you when something does happen.
- Move the ladder often, don’t stretch out and work too far away from your body.
If you keep those basics in mind, you can safely work from a step ladder. If you have something to add to this list, please leave your suggestion in the comment section below.
How To Cut The Hedge
This is something that really deserves its own article, but I will give you a few pointers here. Before you do anything, size up the job and create an image in your mind of what you want the final result to look like.
Start trimming from the bottom up. Do not trim to the desired length or width in one go. Rather, shear off little by little. This will help you maintain the same width along the entire hedge. In some spots, you will have to cut off more than other spots.
Generally, the best shape for most hedges is a kind of pyramid shape. Hedges tend to grow fastest at the top. By keeping the top pointy, you will avoid the ugly, V-shape models hedge that can’t be reversed later on.
What can hedge trimmers be used for?
Depending on the type of hedge trimmer you own, they can be versatile tools. Apart from the obvious hedges that can be modeled or even cut down in some cases, hedge trimmers can also be used to cut ornamental grasses, or even overgrown grass, brambles. I often use them to cut Ivy as well, hedge trimmers are great for that.
Last update on 2019-07-18 / affiliate links / image and description from Amazon