While not typically as powerful as gas-powered hedge trimmers, they do often come close to their corded cousins. The wonderful thing about these trimmers is they don’t have a cord to accidentally cut through. All you need to do is make sure you have a battery charged and you’ll be good to go.
Many models also have the option to buy higher voltage batteries that will hold a charge for longer. This allows you a bit of variety depending on how long you think you may need to use the trimmer. Another option might be to have two batteries so that one can be charging while the other is in use. Battery-powered trimmers are great for small- to medium-sized jobs.
Some of these trimmers can meet the 3/4” thickness in cutting capability that the corded hedge trimmers have, but many will also be lower. Make sure that you know how big the branches are that you will need to trim before making a purchase on a new hedge trimmer.
Another hugely important factor for all electric hedge trimmers is that they should not be used in damp weather. This can result in a short in the machine which can cause it to stop working or potentially cause an electrical shock to you.
Best Cordless Hedge Trimmer
This machine is great value for money. It has all the most important features, including a decent sized blade, and that for a very reasonable price.
- 40V max engine for...
- 22-Inch cutting swath to cut...
- Cuts through brush at 3,300...
- Can cut through branches up to...
- Backed by a 5-year limited...
Cordless Hedge Trimmer Reviews
There are a lot of decisions you have to make when shopping for a new hedge trimmer, the first of which is whether you want a gas-, electric-, or battery-powered trimmer. Gas-powered trimmers tend to be known as the most powerful of the lot, but they tend to be reserved for commercial jobs or those on particularly large parcels of land due to their heavy-duty build and less environment-friendly fuel source. Electric models can hold almost as much power, but they come with a cord that can get in the way and sometimes be cut in the process.
If you’re looking to get the highest level of portability and need the tool for small to medium jobs around your home, then a battery-powered hedge trimmer is without a doubt the way to go. You can still get a decent amount of power from these trimmers, and many of them have a long-lasting battery life that will allow you to get through your task before having to charge it again. Not having to stop means you’ll be able to get through the job quicker and with more efficiency.
These trimmers often come with a battery and charger when you make the purchase; that way you’re all set and don’t have to worry about spending more money on these items separately. In this article, we’ll take a look at three popular options for cordless hedge trimmers in order to help you determine which might be the best choice for you. It’s always important to have adequate information on the choices available to you before making a purchase, that way you can be sure to get the trimmer that is going to meet your needs.
Troy-Bilt CORE TB4400
- 40V max engine for concentrated, gasless power
- 22-Inch cutting swath to cut through the toughest and thickest brush with ease
- Cuts through brush at 3,300 strokes per minute so that you can get the job done fast
- Can cut through branches up to 3/4-inch in diameter
- Backed by a 5-year limited warranty (Bare Tool only, battery and battery charger sold separately)
- Cuts easily: This trimmer has an easy time with a wide variety of plants, keeping you on the go without having to worry about stopping due to the machine being overwhelmed. This is important for when you have multiple plants you need to trim and don’t want to have to change tools in between.
- Charges quickly: You won’t have to wait a long time for the battery on this trimmer to be ready to go; it has been known to charge in an hour or less on many occasions. With that convenience, you’ll be able to spend less time waiting in between charges, and be able to finish your job sooner, leaving you plenty of free time to relax.
- Easy care: This model is easy to use and easy to care for. It’s lightweight enough to keep you from straining your arms and back during use, and low-maintenance enough that you won’t need to spend too much time dealing with upkeep.
- Heavy/large: This model is known to be larger than others, which can make it slightly more difficult to maneuver on some occasions. With the battery attached, it can also be a little bit on the heavy side. If possible, make sure to try out one of these models before purchasing, that way you can get a feel for whether or not the weight and size will work for you.
- Large accessories: Like the trimmer itself, the battery and charger that come with this model are on the larger side. With a 40-volt battery, that is to be expected. It may cause a little bit of an issue if you’re tight on storage but aside from that, the size is just a sign that this trimmer has more power and can hold a charge for longer than others.
The kit for this trimmer comes with a charger as well as a 40-volt power cell battery. This trimmer has a lot of power, particularly for a model that is powered by a battery and not a cord or gasoline mixture. Running at 3,300 strokes per minute, this trimmer is sure to power through just about anything you may need to trim. It comes with 22” chrome steel blades and a comfortable grip to make sure you’re able to hang on without any strain. It also comes with a limited lifetime motor warranty, which shows a lot of pride and belief in this product.
Sun Joe HJ604C
- Best Use: Small gardens, hedge grooming and areas your mower cannot reach
- 2 tools in 1: Convert from grass shear to hedger quickly and easily
- Long-life, rechargeable, 7.2 V lithium-ion battery for hassle-free, cordless operation (battery + charger included)
- Lightweight design (only 2.5 lbs.!) with ergonomic handle for easy control and handling
- Battery Capacity - - 1500 mAh with the load speed of 1,250 ± 10% rpm
- Lightweight: This model is extremely lightweight. At only 2.5 lbs., it’s very easy to maneuver and use without straining your back or arms. This also makes it great for people of all ability levels to use. You don’t have to be particularly strong to make use of this tool. It’s made to make the job easier all around, allowing you to finish your tasks in no time flat.
- Powerful: Small and powerful is the name of the game for this little trimmer. It’s made to withstand most light-duty jobs with ease. You won’t have to worry about getting snagged up while trying to complete a quick task. With the long life battery, you can be assured that the job is likely to be done before you have to recharge again.
- 2-in-1: Two tools in one means fewer tools you have to buy. It also means less time spend cleaning and organizing several different tools. As long as you take good care of the one and make sure to clean any debris out of it after use, it should work for you for years to come.
- Blade issues: There have been a few problems with the blade on this trimmer being not quite as sharp as needed. It can occasionally have issues cutting through even small plants. It’s important to keep this in mind as a possibility and be well versed in the limits of the warranty upon purchasing.
- Manufacturing: Being more of a budget item, two tools in one for a low price, this product may not be made from the same level of high-quality materials as their bigger and more expensive siblings. This tool is best suited to light tasks that won’t put a great deal of strain on the machine.
Unlike other models, this trimmer functions as a 2-in-1 tool. It can switch between working as a hedge trimmer, and working as grass shears. It has a 7.2-volt battery for a long life so you won’t have to worry about frequent recharging. This keeps you from having to frequently buy new batteries for the trimmer. This trimmer is also incredibly light at a mere 2.5 lbs. You also get the benefit of a 2-year warranty just in case the machine needs to be repaired, replaced or returned for any reason.
EGO Power+ 24-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion
- 24 in. dual-action, hardened steel reciprocating blades
- 3/4 in. cut capacity
- Compatible with all EGO POWER+ Arc Lithium Batteries
- Weather-resistant construction
- Electronic brake stops blade action quickly for improved control
- Long-lasting charge: The battery on this trimmer is made to last. Unless you are working a very large parcel of land, you won’t have to worry about it dying on you in the middle of your task. Once you get started, you’ll be able to move through without having to worry about the machine. If you find that you will be working a much longer job than usual, it’s always a good idea to keep a second battery on the charger while you’re using the first.
- Power: This is a powerful trimmer, made to withstand difficult jobs and thicker branches. As far as battery-powered hedge trimmers go, this one nearly measures up to the power of a gas-powered trimmer. You couldn’t ask for more with a trimmer that is both powerful and environment friendly.
- High quality: The Ego Power trimmer is high quality, providing you with a machine that is going to last for years and save you a lot of money on professional services. Ego Power is known for manufacturing high-quality machines of all kinds, so this trimmer is assured to be top notch. If for any reason you find that it isn’t, it does come with a 5-year warranty to give you some peace of mind.
- Heavy: Particularly with the battery in use, this isn’t the lightest of trimmers. It will require some strength to use for longer periods of time and keep control of. It’s always a good idea to take breaks as needed if you find you are strained by the weight of a hedge trimmer.
- Needs both hands: In combination with its weight, this trimmer isn’t one that you can easily maneuver with one hand. It requires both hands at all times to work well, which can sometimes cause a bit of a problem if you are trying to reach a more difficult area.
This trimmer comes with 24” dual action reciprocating blades made from hardened steel, meant to give you the best cut possible. It’s capable of cutting through branches up to 3/4” thick. This model uses a 56-volt lithium ion battery, giving it a long battery life so that it can last through the entirety of your job. The Ego trimmer is also weather resistant and comes with an electronic brake made to stop the blades when you no longer need to use them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Last update on 2018-11-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API