Are Tulips Poisonous?

Tulips are beautiful flowers usually associated with the Netherlands. Fields of tulips are grown commercially in great swathes of color. Gardeners become inspired and plant tulips in their gardens at home, not thinking twice about the toxicity of this beautiful plant. It may only become an issue if a pet or child eats the tulip. Suddenly it is imperative to know if tulips are poisonous.

Tulips are poisonous. They contain alkaloid glycosides in all plant parts except the flower petals, with the highest concentration in the tulip bulb. People, dogs, cats, horses, livestock, rabbits, hamsters, and guinea pigs can be poisoned by tulips. The symptoms depend on the amount ingested.

Most people don’t think twice about handling and growing tulips. For all their attractiveness, they are a plant that needs careful handling.

What Poison Is Found In Tulips?

Tulips contain alkaloid glycosides tulipalin A, tulipalin B, and tuliposide A throughout the plant. The alkaloids are most concentrated in the bulbs. These alkaloids are caustic, causing severe irritation and chemical burning.

The symptoms and outcomes of tulip poisoning vary. The amount of the plant consumed and the body mass of the person or animal are essential factors.

Tulips produce glycosides to act as reservoirs of nitrogen and sugars for the plant. In addition, they repel insect and animal predators that may damage or destroy the plant.

What Symptoms Of Tulip Poisoning Are Seen In People?

Tulip poisoning can vary from mild to severe symptoms. It is vital to ascertain what part of the plant was eaten and the quantity involved.

The glycosides found in tulips are allergenic, and some people have more of a reaction than others. Tulip fingers or tulip dermatitis refers to a condition where people that handle tulips experience the following symptoms:

  1. A rash with possible blistering on the hands
  2. Tingling or numb feeling in the hands and fingers
  3. Brittle nails

Tuliposide, which is found in the outer layer of the bulb, is the primary cause of this condition.

Some people are more allergic or develop a severe allergy to tulips. These unfortunate people will have symptoms from being exposed to tulip dust or any plant part. The dermatitis is not limited to the hands.

  1. A rash may appear on any part of the body.
  2. They will have swollen mucous membranes in the nasal and sinus passages.
  3. Their eyes will become irritated, may swell, and conjunctivitis may occur.
  4. Respiration may be affected with asthma symptoms occurring.

People that experience this allergic reaction should avoid exposure to tulips. Tulips shouldn’t be included in their choice of garden plants. Tulip dermatitis can occur up to twelve hours after exposure.

During World War II, there was an extreme famine in many countries., People tried eating tulip bulbs out of desperation. They reasoned that the bulbs looked similar to onions and were worth trying.

People experience the following symptoms after eating tulips.

  1. Nausea
  2. Vomiting
  3. Breathing difficulties
  4. Excessive perspiration
  5. Excessive saliva production
  6. Dizziness
  7. Abdominal cramps
  8. Diarrhea
  9. Weakness
  10. Heart palpitations
  11. Convulsions
  12. Death can occur but is rare. It happens more often in children, people with tulip allergy, or when a large quantity of tulips have been consumed.

Some people mistakenly eat tulip bulbs, thinking they are eating onions. Care must be taken if tulips and onions are grown in the same garden. The onions and tulips must be grown in clearly demarcated areas to prevent any confusion.

9074710 tulips
Yay Tulips

Is It Safe To Eat Tulip Petals?

Tulip petals are regarded as edible flowers. They do not contain any of the alkaloid glycosides found in the rest of the plant. The petals should be removed from the stem and the central reproductive area of the flower.

Rinse the flower petals under running water and use them as garnishes. The petals have bean, pea, or cucumber flavors, but the taste can differ according to the species.

Are Tulips Poisonous To Cats And Dogs?

Tulip poisoning in dogs and cats occurs when the pet accidentally encounters the plants. This may be digging in the garden or a naughty, curious youngster that steals the packet of tulip bulbs.

The dog or cat will experience severe drooling, a burning mouth, vomiting, and diarrhea. The animal will often want to drink water but jerk back at the last minute as their burning mouth and lips contact the water.

They may have skin irritation that worsens when the cat or dog scratches themselves incessantly.

If the pet eats the tulip, they will have difficulty breathing. The respiration rate will be rapid, and each breath will sound raspy or wheezy. The animal will have an increased heart rate and trouble walking or standing.

The animal will become lethargic and disinclined to eat. In severe cases of poisoning, seizures and death can result. It is also possible that the animal may appear to recover in some cases but will have liver damage, which could be fatal.

2912015 tulips in the garden
Yay Tulips

Are Tulips Poisonous To Horses?

Tulips are poisonous to horses. They will show the following symptoms:

  1. Contact dermatitis on the lips, tongue, and oral membranes.
  2. Irritation of the gastrointestinal system results in yellowish-green diarrhea and severe colic.
  3. Swelling of the bile duct in the liver causes jaundice.
  4. Weakness and difficulty holding up the head.

A horse can recover from tulip poisoning depending on the amount consumed and the horse’s individual reaction. Prompt veterinary treatment improves the chances of survival. Colic is a potentially fatal condition any time it occurs and must be treated as an emergency.

What Other Animals Can Be Poisoned By Tulips?

Livestock such as cows, goats, and sheep will show symptoms of poisoning if they eat tulips. They will have dermatitis of the oral structures and probably develop bloat due to the gastrointestinal effects.

Pet rodents such as rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, and chinchillas will become very sick if they eat any part of a tulip. They will have severe diarrhea, salivation, weakness, oral irritation, and pain. They usually show a low body temperature, and death follows rapidly.

Tulips are toxic to birds. They will drool, vomit, have severe diarrhea, become weak, and die. It is crucial to keep tulips out of reach of any pet bird.

What Should Be Done In Cases Of Tulip Poisoning?

Wash the mouth or affected body parts of any person or animal showing signs of tulip poisoning. Get medical or veterinary help for the person or animal that has been poisoned by tulips.


Tulips are poisonous plants and should be planted with care to prevent children and animals from having access to the plants. They should never be eaten as food, except for the petals. People with tulip allergies should avoid any contact with tulips.