Are Roses Poisonous?

Roses are often confused with plants containing the word “rose” in their name, e.g. Desert Rose, but this is not a rose! Real roses have the word “rosa” in their genus name. Other plants containing the word “rose” can be pretty toxic, so knowing the difference is vital.

Roses are not poisonous. Roses do not contain toxins that are harmful to humans, and they can even be eaten. The rose is a safe plant to have around cats and dogs as it’s not poisonous to them either; however, the thorns and pesticides used on roses can harm animals.

Are Roses Poisonous To Humans?

Roses are not poisonous to humans. If a human or child ingests a rose, there are no side effects as a rose is non-toxic to both an adult and a child.

Roses are a great plant to have around the house, especially with children, as one does not have to worry about a child getting sick from becoming the very alluring flowers.

Although they are not poisonous, children need to be careful around rose bushes as the thorns can be quite harmful.

Woman smelling roses
Yay Woman smelling roses

The issue with people and roses is that they often don’t realize that just because a plant has the word “rose” in it doesn’t mean it’s a rose and is safe to have around the house. When differentiating, a true rose will have the word “rosa” in its genus name.

There are a few plants that contain the word rose in their name that are quite toxic to humans.

Plants such as a Desert Rose or Christmas Rose do not form part of the rose family. It is essential to check which rose is a real rose by looking at the label and their genus name before purchasing.

Primrose and Christmas rose both sounds like they form part of the rose family, but they do not. In fact, both these plants do contain toxins that are harmful to humans.

Are Roses Poisonous To Cats or Dogs?

Roses are not poisonous to cats or dogs. A rose is a safe plant to have around your cat or dog as there are no toxins that are harmful to them.

In general, roses are not harmful if ingested by a cat or dog, but non-toxic plants can still upset an animal’s stomach, so it is best to prevent any pet from eating a rose.

However, the issue with roses and animals is that roses are often treated with pesticides or chemicals to prevent other bugs from eating them. These chemicals can be toxic to dogs and cats and will upset their stomachs badly as well as create gastrointestinal problems.

When buying roses, it’s essential to see what the nursery treats the roses with before bringing them home to avoid harming pets. However, people who want to continue treating their roses once they have brought them home can use pet-friendly pesticides.

Furthermore, disulfoton is an ingredient in some of the rose granule products. This ingredient in the granules is toxic to cats and dogs and could be fatal if eaten. Many pet owners are advised to look out for the disulfoton ingredient in rose granules before using it on their roses.

Lastly, although there are no toxins, roses do have thorns. It’s important to pick up any dead pieces of thorn bush off the ground as dogs or cats can step on them when roaming the garden. Dried up rose stems are very sharp and hard and can pierce soft paws.

Are Roses Poisonous To Eat?

Roses are not poisonous to eat. Humans can eat roses and do so more commonly than one might think.

Animals, however, can also nibble on them, but it is not advised as plant matter can upset a pet’s stomach. As mentioned early, chemicals and pesticides are also a concern if a pet tries to eat a rose.

People can eat roses but only very particular parts. The stem should not be eaten, but one can eat the flower as well as the rosehip. The rest of the rose should not be consumed.

In general, people do enjoy roses in all sorts of things. Roses are often included in salads and granola. Due to their sweet fragrance, they are often included in jams and jellies! Sometimes roses are included in birthday and wedding cakes and can be eaten raw.

The reason why humans eat roses is not only due to their sweet fragrance and taste, but also their potential health benefits. Some believe that roses are involved in reducing anxiety, although nothing has been concretely proven yet.

Other potential health benefits of rose petals are:

  • They are a good source of vitamin C, iron, Vitamin A and E, and calcium
  • They can improve sleep and reduce fatigue
  • Promotes healthy skin
  • Immune system support

The above is a list of possible health benefits, but there is no conclusive evidence of this yet.

Are Roses Poisonous On A Cake?

A commonly asked question is whether roses are poisonous on a cake. Roses are not poisonous on a cake if they have been organically grown and carefully chosen.

Wedding cake with roses
Yay Wedding cake with roses

Cake decorating is quite the art! Bakers use all sorts of bits and bobs to make their cakes look outstanding! However, they have to be very careful with what they put on their cake.

When decorating a cake, toxic flowers cannot be used even if they are not going to be eaten. A poisonous flower can give off its toxins into the icing. The icing, when eaten, will contain some of the toxins which can affect someone.

When using roses, although they are a relatively safe option, they need to be carefully chosen. Roses need to have no chemicals or pesticides used – they need to be grown organically. This includes fertilizers in the soil.

Finally, some people have severe allergies to pollen. Although the risk is relatively low, it’s common for bakers to remove the pollen-bearing parts of the rose, the stamen, before placing them on the cake.