Petunias are fast becoming an extremely popular plant in homes and gardens, as they produce beautiful, bright red flowers with a great aroma. This increase in popularity can be worrisome to animal owners and parents as many plants are toxic if ingested. But do you need to be concerned about Petunias?
Petunias are among the many plants that are non-toxic to both humans and animals, and they are generally used as a garnish for different meals. There are things you need to consider before eating them, like if they were sprayed with chemical herbicides, as these can damage your health if consumed.
Are Petunias Poisonous To Humans?
Petunias are a beautiful plant growing in popularity as the years go by. Petunias are used just about everywhere nowadays.
You can find them growing in almost every garden around your neighborhood, placed in stunning bouquets and flower arrangements at the store, or you may even find them dried out and placed around people’s homes to fill the house with a delicate but alluring aroma.
With Petunias becoming increasingly popular, you may be worried for the health of your family and your children as everyone is being exposed to this plant more and more. This does mean that there is a higher chance of the plant being ingested accidentally, especially by children.
So, do you need to be worried about your family’s health and safety when it comes to the Petunia plant?
Thankfully, Petunias are a non-toxic plant to humans and are considered one of the few edible plants that humans can safely consume, with no negative side effects. In fact, there are many recipes from different countries that use the petals of the Petunia flower as an ingredient or as a garnish for the meal.
The entire Petunia plant is considered edible, but the petals from the flowers are generally the only part of the plant used in recipes and as garnish. So, if a member of your family or your child consumes a piece of the Petunia plant that you have in your garden, you have nothing to be concerned about.
Are Petunias Poisonous To Dogs?
Now that you are sure about the safety of your family when it comes to consuming the Petunia plant, you may switch gears now and be wondering about the health and safety of your little furry friend.
As many plants in the world are poisonous to dogs; you need to make sure that none of these plants that are toxic to dogs are planted in your garden and that there are none on your regular walking route if you walk your dog daily.
As Petunias are increasing in popularity and they seem to be planted outside of every second neighbor’s house, or they could even be sprouting up in your own garden as the seeds of the Petunia plant can spread a long distance away from the flowering plant, all this can raise a few concerns about the safety of your dog.
Thankfully, Petunias are non-toxic to dogs either. Petunias are one of the many plants that dogs may even choose to eat in various situations, like when they feel they need a bit of greenery in their diets or when their stomachs are upset, and they need some relief. So, you do not need to be anxious about your dog’s health if your dog snacks on a Petunia flower or two during your walk.
Are Petunias Poisonous To Cats?
With the amount of Petunias plants sprouting up in and around your neighborhood and home, this can lead you to be worried over the health and safety of not only your dog but your cat too. This is because most people have little to no say over where their cat wanders around most of the time, which translates over into your cat’s diet.
Who knows what your cat decides to try and eat whiles he or she is off on its travels around the block, and with many plants in the world being toxic to cats, the number of Petunias in your neighborhood may have you concerned for the safety of your cat.
Luckily, Petunias are also not toxic to cats. Your cat could even eat the whole Petunia plant if it wants to, and it will suffer no negative side effects from the plant.
Are Petunias Poisonous To Livestock?
Dog and cat owners in urban and surrounding areas are not the only animal owners worried about the increasing number of Petunias popping up everywhere. People who own livestock, like cows, chickens, sheep, and goats, are just as concerned for the health of their livestock when it comes to the Petunia plant.
Luckily, the Petunia plant seems to be non-toxic to all the animals that have come across the plant’s path and eaten it. So, whether you own a cat, a dog, a chicken, or a cow, you do not have to be worried about any of these animals that you love and hold dear consuming this plant, as the entire plant is edible for everyone.
Are There Any Considerations When Consuming Petunias?
Even though the whole Petunia plant is non-toxic, if you want to eat the plant that you have in your garden or that you find in a park, there are several considerations you should take into account before you consume them.
You must never consume the Petunias straight from the plant as the plant could be infested with insects, or the plant could have other problems that may make you sick if you eat the plant.
For example, if the plant has a disease that you are unaware of or do not notice, and you eat the plant, you could develop an upset stomach that can last for a few hours after you have eaten the plant.
You must always wash your Petunias thoroughly before you eat them. Before you pick the Petunias, there is another factor you should keep in mind; have the Petunias been chemically treated in any way?
The Petunias themselves may not be toxic, but if the plants were sprayed with chemicals like a herbicide or an insecticide, these chemical-based products are harmful to you. They will put your health in danger if you consume a Petunia sprayed with them.
If some compost was added to the soil of the Petunia plants, this could also be dangerous to your health, as compost is usually the excrement of different animals mixed together. This could carry diseases and pests that can be passed on to you through the plant if you consume it.
If you want to eat Petunia plants, you need to ensure you know exactly what the plant has been exposed to and treated with to ensure they are safe to consume and will not damage your health.