Strolling through the garden on a warm summer’s day can envoke feelings of peace and joy – until a garden spider is spotted. It is then that worry and concern about your well-being, and that of your pets can arise – and understandably so. Follow along to learn if garden spiders are poisonous.
Garden spiders are poisonous. However, a more precise term to use is venomous, as the garden spider injects venom into its prey in an effort to paralyze it. Paralysis usually occurs in smaller prey such as insects. However, humans and other animals react to the venom differently.
Related: 10 Common Types Of Garden Spiders
Are Garden Spiders Poisonous To Humans?
Although garden spiders can look menacing and are indeed venomous, rest assured, as a human, you are safe from the harmful effects of the garden spider. Only in exceptional circumstances should a garden spider bite be a cause for concern, such as an allergic reaction to spider bites.
So, if you are like the vast majority of the population, don’t fret! The bite itself may hurt – as it feels much like a bee sting, with minor pain or swelling -however, this is the most discomfort to expect. Nonetheless, if you experience severe effects or an inability to breathe, call 911 immediately.
And, in addition to the garden spider’s venom not posing much of a threat to humans, garden spiders are also known to be quite docile. In other words, they are not likely to aggressively pursue you as some nightmares may suggest.
Garden spiders will leave you alone as long as you don’t bother or provoke them – this should be easy enough to do. All in all, garden spiders may be a perfect example of, ” Don’t judge a book by its cover.” So, Although garden spiders may look menacing and potentially dangerous; To humans, they are almost completely harmless and non-threatening.
Are Garden Spiders Poisonous To Dogs?
It is understandable to be concerned about what your dog gets up to in the garden and if that garden spider that was seen last week poses any threat. Well. Get ready for some relief. Garden spiders are not poisonous to dogs.
Although garden spiders are venomous, a garden spider bite on your dog is unlikely to cause any real threat. However, if the dog displays dilated pupils, drooling or foaming at the mouth, inflammation, or rapid heartbeats in conjunction with a presence of a puncture wound, take the dog to the vet as soon as possible.
Also, dogs have been known to eat and chew almost anything – and that includes spiders! So if your dog has eaten a garden spider, worry and concern are often the first emotions to arise. However, it is generally noted that eating a garden spider is unlikely to cause real harm to dogs.
However, some symptoms may arise due to eating a garden spider, such as an upset stomach. Nonetheless, always keep an eye on the dog’s well-being to see if any abnormal symptoms arise. If the dog displays symptoms out of the normal, it is best to take the dog to the vet.
Are Garden Spiders Poisonous To Cats?
A garden spider bite is unlikely to cause serious harm to cats. This news may come as such a relief, knowing that cats have a tendency to chase and play with insects and bugs. However, exceptions do apply. A garden spider bite can cause serious harm to cats if the cat has an allergy to spider venom.
So, if you notice the cat displaying abnormal signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors, and/or paralysis, take the cat for veterinary care immediately. However, for the vast majority of cats, ingestion of garden spiders are unlikely to cause serious harm.
Nonetheless, it is still best to keep your cat under observation to incase any abnormal symptoms occur. If you are in doubt about the well-being of your cat, it is still best to take your cat to the vet.
How To Treat A Garden Spider Bite
The bite of a garden spider will, unfortunately, cause some initial pain and discomfort. However, do not fret! Treating a garden spider bite with some home remedies may help to alleviate some pain and discomfort.
First, make sure to thoroughly clean the affected area. This can be done by using water and mild soap. Cleaning the area helps prevent any venom, dirt, or bacteria from entering your bloodstream through the puncture wound.
Second, apply a cold press or an ice pack to the area on and off for 10 minutes. Afterward, you can consider applying an over-the-counter medicated cream over the bite. Creams such as an antihistamine or hydrocortisone cream can help ease itching.
Additionally, you can apply an antibiotic cream to the area if you are blistering or an analgesic cream to help reduce pain.
Furthermore, alternative natural home remedies may also prove helpful in alleviating discomfort from garden spider bites. For instance, aloe ver gel has soothing properties and may aid in quicker healing.
And also, some essential oils may help to provide relief from irritation. However, essential oils must be diffused or applied to the skin with a carrier oil. For example, lavender oil, bergamot oil, rose oil, and chamomile oil may help reduce irritation and skin inflammation as well as help reduce pain.
Are Garden Spiders Beneficial?
Garden spiders have their role in the eco-system – and to the benefit of the gardener too! Garden spiders help to keep the general insect population down. These include controlling the population of unwanted pests and insects that cause plant damage, such as aphids, wasps, beetles, mosquitoes, and flies.
On the flip side, this may also mean a reduction of other insects such as ladybugs, butterflies, and other aesthetic or beneficial insects. This is because the garden spider’s web does not discriminate. So whatever insect is unfortunate enough to wander into its web will probably see its last days.
Although, if you can get past the fear factor, garden spiders are hard workers who help bring balance and harmony to your garden. So, the more garden spiders that are present, the more the insect population will be reduced. This may mean you can potentially cut down on the use of pesticides and insect repellents.