Are Daylilies Poisonous?

Daylilies are beautiful plants that produce stunning flowers that come in different colors, so it is understandable that people what to have them in their gardens. But this popularity can be troubling to animal owners and parents of small children as these plants may be toxic. So, do you need to worry about Daylilies?

Daylilies are non-toxic to humans, and their flowers are used in many different recipes. However, Daylilies are mildly-toxic to dogs if they are consumed in excess. These plants are highly toxic to cats and livestock animals and horses; they can kill the animal within 24 hours.

Are Calla Lilies Poisonous?
Are Tiger Lilies Poisonous?
Are Peace Lilies Poisonous?

Are Daylilies Poisonous To Humans?

Daylilies are gorgeous plants that are highly popular for their stunning flowers. You can find Daylilies just about everywhere nowadays. There are about 20 different Daylily species that you can find on display in gardens and homes worldwide.

You can find all species of Daylilies growing in almost every garden around your neighborhood or placed in stunning bouquets and flower arrangements at the store.

With Daylilies as popular as they are, you may be worried for the health of your family and your children as we are all being exposed to this plant almost daily. This does mean that there is an increasing chance of the plant being ingested accidentally, especially by children.

So, do you need to be worried about your family’s health and safety regarding the many species of Daylily plants?

Peach Colored Daylily
Yay Peach Colored Daylily

Thankfully, all species of Daylilies are non-toxic to humans and are considered one of the few edible plants that humans can safely eat without experiencing any negative side effects. There are many recipes from different countries that use the flowers of Daylily plants as an ingredient for different meals.

The flower has been used for years in traditional stir-fries and Daylily hash breakfasts. Even though the flower is the part of the plant used in recipes, the entire Daylily plant is edible.

You need to ensure that you identify the Daylilies correctly before you consume them, as other plants have the Lilly name. These other flowers also look similar to Daylilies, but they are not the same plant, and these other lilies can be toxic to eat.

So, if a member of your family or your child consumes a flower of the Daylily plant that you have in your garden, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Are Daylilies Poisonous To Dogs?

The large number of Daylilies being planted around your home can also be concerning for dog owners. Daylilies are also commonly used in parks to make the park more inviting to the people that visit it.

The fact that Daylilies are growing in popularity can be troubling to many dog owners as there are numerous plants that can be toxic to dogs, with some of these plants even being deadly to dogs if they are ingested.

This is concerning as not every plant that is used around neighborhoods and in parks is researched thoroughly before they are planted to see if the plants are safe for dogs or not.

Multicolored daylilies Hemerocallis
Yay Multicolored daylilies Hemerocallis

So, should you be nervous about your dog being around Daylilies? Unfortunately, Daylilies are mildly toxic to dogs. Your dog can suffer some adverse reactions to all Daylily species if your dog consumes a large amount of the plant.

If your dog consumes one flower, then your dog will not suffer any side effects, but if your dog consumes the entire plant, then this can cause some uncomfortable symptoms for your dog. These can include a runny stomach and vomiting, but this plant is rarely deadly to dogs.

So, if your walking route or the dog park you frequent has Daylilies in them, you should try and not let your dog consume the plant.

Are Daylilies Poisonous To Cats?

Daylilies are a popular plant and are springing up around cities and parks, which can be problematic for cat owners just as it is for dog owners, if not more worrying.

The number of Daylily plants popping up around your neighborhood can be troubling, as there are a large number of plants in the world that are toxic to cats. Unfortunately, not everyone in your city or town will do proper research into the plants they plant in their gardens to ensure these plants are safe for their neighborhood pets.

This can be extremely concerning for cat owners, especially, as you have little to no control over what your cat encounters while traveling outside your home. So, are your concerns for your cat around the Daylilies valid, or can your mind be calm about this situation?

Daylilies or Hemerocallis in summersun
Yay Daylilies or Hemerocallis in summersun

Unfortunately, your concerns are very valid with your cat being exposed to the Daylilies, as these plants are highly toxic to cats. If cats consume the smallest amount of a Daylily plant, they can experience deadly side effects.

The amount it takes to poison your cat is so small that if your cat even drinks the water from a vase that contains Daylilies, your cat will need immediate medical treatment.

You need to try your best to keep your cat away from these plants as much as you possibly can. This can be a complicated task as you don’t always have control over your cat’s whereabouts, but you need to help your cat avoid the deadly consequences.

Are Daylilies Poisonous To Livestock?

With how popular all the Daylily plants are, it is not just domestic animal owners growing concerned for their animal’s health and safety, but people who own livestock and horses are also worried about this plant and what it could do to their animals.

Sadly, all species of Daylily plants are toxic to livestock animals, including horses and cows, as they are part of the nightshade family. Most livestock will have the same symptoms of poisoning as cats if they ingest any of the Daylily plants. There are some livestock animals that may not die from eating the plant, but they will still fall ill if they consume the plant.

What Are The Symptoms Of Daylily Poisoning In Cats?

If your cat ingests ant Daylily plants or your dog consumes a large quantity of the plant, there are a few symptoms you need to look out for. If your pet presents these symptoms, you need to get them to a vet as soon as possible.

Here are the symptoms of Daylily poisoning in animals:

  • Lethargy and a decreased activity level
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Hiding from you
  • Loss of apatite
  • Dehydration
  • Irregular or rapid heartbeats
  • Increased urination and thirst
  • Seizures

If you do not take your cat or other animals that are suffering from Daylily poisoning to the vet within the first 24 hours of the poisoning, the animal will experience acute kidney failure and then death.